NEW MEMBER WELCOME PACKETS
Joining the church can be exciting and scary at the same time. The Mormon culture has unique lingo and traditions that will be very unfamiliar for new members. The Young Women can extend a hand of friendship to new members by creating a ?Welcome Packet? that can either be given directly to the new member or to the full-time missionaries to share with the new member when appropriate. The Young Women could create an assembly line in order to produce a dozen or more of these packets to keep the missionaries stocked up!
The packet could be a simple binder, big manila envelope, or decorated box.
Things that could be included in the packet:
- A copy of the Ensign magazine
- Pictures of Jesus Christ
- A ward directory
- Tithing slips and envelopes
- Calendar of upcoming events in the ward
- Welcome letter from the Young Women, congratulating the new member on his/her decision to be baptized and welcoming him/her into the ward family
- Candy (because the gospel of Jesus Christ is sweet!)
- A bookmark for scriptures
- A list of Seminary Scripture Doctrinal Mastery Passages
- A copy of the book ?Preach My Gospel?
- A list of Mormon lingo with definitions. A great vocabulary list can be found?here.
Tricky words could include: Stake Center, Ward, MTC, Fireside, Seminary, Nursery, Sunbeams, CTR, YSA, Sealing, FHE, Mutual, Calling, Teacher (in the priesthood), Beehive, Laurel, Mia Maid, General Authority, companion, Greeny, AP, Dear John, missionary White Bible, General Conference, Stake Conference, Ward Conference, font, garments, endowed, Activity Days, Family File, etc.
Download PDF version of this activity