This would make a great attention-getting activity at the beginning of your lesson or a midweek activity to go with this month’s theme!
Bring to class:
- a roll of masking tape
- foam earplugs
Have a table set up with enough chairs for each girl. Have the class line up and call off A-B-C-A-B-C till everyone has a letter.
- Have the A?s hold up their hands and tape around each hand so they cannot use their thumbs.
- Have the B?s put on blindfolds
- Have the C?s put in earplugs Before the earplugs have totally blocked off the sound,
say: OK, now I want you all to carefully follow my instructions. I will only say each thing one time (the girls with earplugs will not hear the instructions after this)
1. Girls – Sit down in a chair at this table
2. (Teacher – Uncover a plate of cupcakes.)
3. (Teacher – Bring out a tray with frosting cups and knives.)
4. Instruct the girls to each take a cupcake, frosting cup and knife
5. Instruct the girls to frost their cupcake.
6. You have 1 minute to frost your cupcake.
7. After one minute tell them to give their cupcake to the person on their right.
8. Tell the girls they can remove their tape/blindfolds/earplugs and eat the cupcake they have.
Ask the girls how they feel about their thumbs, eyes and ears after this little exercise. Whatever we have is a blessing. When we are grateful for what we have, we will feel happier and more satisfied in life. How do we show gratitude for our blessings?